Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Hesitant Heiress by Dawn Crandall

About the Book
After being unjustly expelled from the Boston Conservatory of Music, Amaryllis Brigham sees her dreams of founding a music academy in her hometown of Seattle, Washington, disappearing before her very eyes. Now, the only way to achieve her goal comes with high stakes for someone set on avoiding men as much as possible: Marry within the year to inherit the immense fortune of her estranged grandmother. Amaryllis reluctantly moves in to her aunt's Boston home and rubs shoulders with fashionable society. Despite her own misgivings, she soon finds herself quickly falling in love with the most unlikely of men--Nathan Everstone, the envy of every eligible female, whose father has haunted her dreams for the decade following her mother's tragic death. However, Nathan turns out to be much more than he seems...and everything she never knew she wanted. But just as everything Amaryllis has recently hoped for comes to fruition, it all falls apart when she finds that the real culprit who has been managing her life isn't who she thought at all.

My Thoughts
This book has been on my radar since before its release and it was recommended to me several times but I just never seemed to get around to reading it. Then last year I attended the Christian Fiction Reader’s Retreat, and in addition to several more people insisting I just had to read this series, I got to hear the author talk about one of her heroes (from book four) and from that moment I was sold! I immediately bought the fourth book at the retreat and shortly after getting home I purchased books two and three (I already had book one on my kindle). But sadly despite my enthusiasm for this series, life got quite busy and I had enough trouble keeping up with review books. But then came January and I got bit by the reading bug and I got caught up with review books so of course I immediately started this book. I read one chapter before bed one night and then spent every spare second the next day reading-staying up way later than I should have, I just couldn’t stop it was SO good! It is not often you find a historical book written in first person and it’s not typically my favorite POV but this author not only made it work she made it so perfect I couldn’t have imagined it any other way!
I loved Nathan and Amaryllis’s characters and I especially loved them together! I was greatly amused by how Nathan was trying to make Amaryllis fall in love with him while she was making sure she did nothing of the sort! Their romance was quite the journey and I was sighing and squealing like a schoolgirl through it all! There was also a bit of mystery to figure out and the author always seemed to have a twist right when you thought you knew how things were going to play out!
There was a large cast of characters in this book but they were easily kept straight and I loved all their family and friends. I especially liked Meredyth and Lawry and so I was quite excited to discover that book two was about them!

Meet the Author
Dawn Crandall is an ACFW Carol Award-nominated author of the award winning series The Everstone Chronicles, which consists of four books: The Hesitant Heiress, The Bound Heart, The Captive Imposter and The Cautious Maiden which released October 4th, 2016.
Apart from writing, Dawn is also a mom of two little ones and serves with her husband in a premarital mentorship program at their local church in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
A graduate of Taylor University with a degree in Christian Education and a former bookseller at Barnes & Noble, Dawn Crandall didn't begin writing until 2010 when her husband found out about her long-buried dream. It didn't take her long to realize that writing books was what she was made to do.
Dawn is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, the secretary for the Indiana ACFW Chapter (Hoosier Ink), and an associate member of the Great Lakes ACFW Chapter. She is represented by Joyce Hart of Hartline Literary Agency.

0 comments:

Post a Comment