Saturday, September 25, 2004

Climax Rush

I've finally reached the climax of my current novel. I'm not much of an outliner, but I've had this part of the book planned out for several months. I'm getting to it at last after a long delay (thanks to those endless book reviews).

The odd part is, I'm so excited about doing it that I want to race through to the end. Which, for me, leads to bad writing. Choppy sentences, repeated phrases, boring choice of words. I know I can fix it later, but I usually edit as I go. Once I've let it sit a day or so, it's pretty much kiln-fired. I can polish it a bit; sand off the rough edges; but anything more and I have to drop it on the floor and start over, or leave the flaws.

At the same time, I know I'll be sorry to finish this book. I've fallen in love with Rob and Winter, Cassie and the twins. At least with my first book I had the sequel well planned out, with many of the same characters. I know I'll come back to them. With Winter, the only sequel would be far too detached to make me feel better, or I'd have to stir up more trouble between Rob and Winter, and I think they've had their fair share already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment