Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Reviewing the Situation

Well, after the talk of not-so-good books last week, today I got a package that drove me crazy - trying to pick which book to read first! Among the choices were Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge, Club Sandwich by Lisa Samson, A Table by the Window by Lawana Blackwell, and With This Ring, I'm Confused by Kristen Billerbeck. Yes, advance copies, all (go ahead and drool). The latter was easily voted out since I still need to get the first two books in the series out of the church library. Chick lit and its companions have fascinated me ever since I read Flabbergasted, but it's so much fun to read that I think of it as book candy and feel guilty about indulging. Solution? Pick the last book in the series to review, that way with my perchant for reading books in order, I'll have to read all of them. Guilt-free.

I finally chose Captivating since I have several fiction books partly reviewed and I didn't want to mix one more in the bunch. It's good so far (btw, all of these reviews will be put online, so look for their links in a month or so).

I've been hearing a lot about how most published authors can't support themselves full-time. A bit discouraging for an unpublished author. Yesterday marks one year since I sent out my first book query. No nibbles, but then I've been concentrating mostly on book reviews this year. It's hard to find a balance between long- and short-term writing projects. I do better consistently working on one big project, but reviews have deadlines. I wouldn't want to give up reviewing, though, unless a publisher was waiting for me to write my next book. Then I might have money to buy the books I love when they release. Or not, considering the first sentence of this paragraph. Perhaps if I split my work into weeks - 1-2 weeks of novel writing followed by 1-2 weeks of reviewing. That might work.

Does anyone get the idea that my problem-solving is done through writing things out?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know some writers are able to support themselves but many do what you're doing - something on the side like reviewing, editing, etc. that brings in a steady income. I heard, not sure if it's true, that after 10-15 books published you might be able to have a steady income. I would tend to think that's true because building that brand - where people rush out to read your next book, takes a lot of time.

Oh - and I have long conversations with my husband to problem-solve. He doesn't even have to answer me. I usually end up figuring out the answers to my own questions (or realize what God was saying to me all along:-)

Anonymous said...

Have you read the Christian novel just out, Something That Lasts, by James Jordan? Riveting and unpredictable (which I like). Deals seriously with the subject of adultery and its impact on a family.

Katie Hart - Pinterest Manager said...

No I haven't heard of that novel. Is it by a new author?

Sarah, I wish my reviewing did pay - it would make a nice side job. Books are good, but I can't sell the advance copies (and some I don't want to). I've tried querying some magazines that pay, but no bites yet.

Anonymous said...

There is a James Jordan who writes a lot of Christian books, but those seem to be non-fiction so I don't know if it is the same person. The back of the book says that the author is a Dallas lawyer.

Valerie Comer said...

Hi, Katie. Since January when I found FiF I've tried the link to your blog several times, but today is the first time it came up for me. I have no idea what the problem was, but now that I'm here I see you have already linked to me. I'd be happy to reciprocate, now that I've gotten through. :)

BookCafe said...

I love your idea for choosing the last book in a series to review, so that you can read the other - first - books without feeling guilty! Mind if I borrow that tactic? ;)

Post a Comment