Thursday, January 18, 2007

Arms of Deliverance

I just finished Tricia Goyer's Arms of Deliverance last night. Yes, I let it sit before reading it, but I have books arriving every couple of days and they're starting to pile up. Not to mention that I have several dozen sitting on my shelves that I really want to read, plus 25 or more that I'd give a try if I had a spare moment.

As if.

I'm loving my new job at Logos Bookstore. One of the few drawbacks is less reading time. One reason I was glad Tricia's book wasn't as long as the previous novel of hers that I'd read (and enjoyed), Night Song.

Tricia begins with a diverse cast of characters you know will all connect before the book ends. Katrine has safely hidden her Jewishness by her Aryan looks, completely fooling everyone, even her S.S. boyfriend. But when she becomes pregnant, he takes her to a Lebensborn home, where she and the child will have the best care the Third Reich can provide.

Raised by a working-class single mom, Mary Kelley has had to struggle to make it as a female reporter. Then Lee O'Donnelly, a wealthy fashion magazine writer, decides to turn to hard news, and with scores of contacts easily becomes Mary's rival. Both women land European assignments, and their conflict is soon displaced by the stories they cover.

Edward Anderson, B-17 navigator, simply wants to guide his crew safely through their 30 missions. But in the danger and cold, his faith becomes the only thing he can cling to.

I love WWII novels. The intrigue, the valor, the bravery, the sacrifice. I enjoyed Tricia's charactization and close attention to details. Much of the plot seemed to wrap up a bit too smoothly, though (for example, the showdown with the Nazi officer lasted all of two pages). I would have liked more intrigue and complexity.

In all, this is a good read that I'd recommend (along with Tricia's other novels) to any WWII buffs and historical fiction fans.

1 comments:

Clair said...

Katie, I was wondering if I could link my blog to yours. I read a lot, and have liked looking at books you have reviewed.

Post a Comment