Thursday, April 26, 2012

Talkin' Thursday: Book vs. Movie


Book or movie? Which is better? This is a topic that has been talked about a lot but I've decided to put my two cents in as well.

I think it's almost a 100% guarantee that I will always like a book better than the movie adaptation. Maybe it's just because I'm a book person, but I think the better explanation is that the books are so much more in depth. By reading the book you get to fully understand the characters. You are able to be inside their heads and thinking what they think, hearing what they hear, seeing everything through their eyes, and feeling what they feel. But when watching a movie you only get to know the things that people actually say. And occasionally you can get a small feel for the characters feelings by their facial expressions. This is not to say that I don't like movie adaptations, on the contrary I usually really enjoy watching them.

Here is a list of books turned it to movies that I've both read and seen:


The Hunger Games: I enjoyed both the book and the movie but the book a little more. See above for reasons why.

The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe: I liked these pretty equally

Prince Caspian: Book a bit more because the movie had some stuff that wasn't in the book.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Same as Prince Caspian

The Lord of the Rings: Pretty equal

Love Comes Softly Series: Books so much more. The movies were so off base it was ridiculous. I could rant all day about how off they were but we don't have time for that! The movies were ok as long as you take them as a completely different story.


A Walk to Remember: It's been awhile since I read the book but I'm pretty sure I liked the movie better on this one. Maybe because I watched it a lot before reading the book.

Dear John: Equal

The Inheritance: Book way better!

Little Women: Still in the middle of reading this one and while it is really good I grew up watching the movies so I think I like them better.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, you put an extra "s" in the last "as" in your review of Love Comes Softly.

But other than that great reviews, I always look forward to seeing you post on your blog. :)

Andi said...

Book rule over the movie ALWAYS!!!! There is so much more in the book that they can't put in the movie!

Rina said...

Yes! Someone else who has read and seen The Inheritance! And I agree, the book is better. (But the movie is fun too.)

Love your list and agree with most of them. I liked the book A Walk to Remember better and the Narnia books a lot better than the movie (though LWW was pretty good).

I can't compare The Hunger Games (haven't seen it) or Dear John (haven't read or seen it). I have read Little Woman and the book wins out ever so slightly.

Post a Comment