Friday, February 28, 2014

A Hero's Promise by Roseanna M. White

About the Book
Twenty-year-old Julienne Lane eagerly awaits the return of her fiancé and naval officer, Jack Arnaud, but she has not been idle. She and her best friend, Freeda Payne, have been working hard to support the abolitionist movement. Their efforts have been clouded in secrecy, but when Freeda shows up in Julienne’s cellar with a runaway slave, the need for secrets becomes imperative. When Jack returns home, will Julienne threaten his career in the Navy by including him in their plans, or will she hide news of the slave from him and put his trust to the test? Moreover, why does her fiancé appear to be hiding a secret of his own?
Despite a harrowing tour of duty in the North Atlantic, Jack’s hopes for rest and recuperation are put on hold. His wedding to Julienne is in two days, but a more pressing matter comes to his attention from his associates in the Culper Ring. Should he ask his beautiful fiancée to postpone the wedding for the third time in two years? How will he and the Culper Ring foil the malicious plans they have uncovered? And why does Julienne blush so brightly when he asks her about the cellar? The clock is ticking. Danger looms. Can justice prevail? Will their love survive?

My Thoughts
This novella is extremely short so this review will be as well! I loved seeing little Jack as an adult and I loved the relationship between him and Lenna! I also enjoyed seeing the Lane's  and it was cool how Jack's father found love again. It was pretty cool how the author was able to pack so much in to such little space and I loved it! My only complaint is that I wish it was longer just because I love this author's writing so much! I can't wait for Circle of Spies!

Meet the Author
Roseanna M. White grew up in the mountains of West Virginia, the beauty of which inspired her to begin writing as soon as she learned to pair subjects with verbs. She spent her middle and high school days penning novels in class, and her love of books took her to a school renowned for them. After graduating from St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland, she and her husband moved back to the Maryland side of the same mountains they equate with home.

Roseanna is the author of two biblical novels, A Stray Drop of Blood and Jewel of Persia, both from WhiteFire Publishing (www.WhiteFire-Publishing.com), and Love Finds You in Annapolis, Maryland, a historical romance, with Summerside Press. She is the senior reviewer at the Christian Review of Books, which she and her husband founded, the senior editor at WhiteFire Publishing, and a member of ACFW, HisWriters, HEWN Marketing, and Colonial Christian Fiction Writers.

3 comments:

Amber Holcomb said...

Nice review! I love Roseanna's writing, too, and you are going to LOVE Circle of Spies, let me tell you! I think it's my favorite of the series. :)

~Amber

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great book! I have discovered a new author so thanks for sharing!!

I hope to see you around my blog,

Katelynn
www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

Abbi Hart said...

Amber-Thanks! I cannot wait for Circle of Spies! I love her books so much and if you think it's the best of the series then I know it's going to be awesome!

Katelynn-It is really good though it's a novella that is between books 2 and 3 of the series and I would highly recommend reading them in order (Ring of Secrets, Fairchild's Lady (another novella), Whispers from the Shadows, and A Hero's Promise)! I'm heading over to your blog now!

Post a Comment