Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Pause for Compassion

A few weeks ago, I got an email from Compassion International. It included a link to photos of children who had been waiting for a sponsor for more than six months. I'd sponsored a child with Compassion several years ago, but when I was between jobs I'd been forced to discontinue my sponsorship. Now I felt the urge to sponsor one of the kids who'd been waiting so long.

I debated between a few, but finally settled on Monowara. She turns 7 tomorrow, and lives in a region of Bangladesh where the average laborer earns only $29 a month, less than the amount my sponsorship costs. Her father is listed as "sometimes employed" and her mother is a homemaker. There are 4 children in the family.

I hope and pray I'll be able to make a difference in Monowara's life as she continues to grow. If you'd like to sponsor a child, stop by Compassion's website, or choose another organization such as World Vision. You won't regret it.

Side note: I just realized the McCains' adopted daughter is also from Bangladesh! How cool is that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment