Monday, July 14, 2008

Christy Award Winners!

The Christy Awards 2008

Key: Winners in purple. Bold I've read the book, italics I plan to. If the author is bold, I've read a different book of theirs.

CONTEMPORARY (STAND ALONE)

  • Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin (Thomas Nelson)
  • In High Places by Tom Morrisey (Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group)
  • Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson (Thomas Nelson)

CONTEMPORARY (SERIES, SEQUELS, AND NOVELLAS)

  • Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon (Viking Penguin)
  • A Time to Mend by Sally John and Gary Smalley (Thomas Nelson)
  • What Lies Within by Karen Ball (WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group)

HISTORICAL

  • Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen (Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group)
  • A Proper Pursuit by Lynn Austin (Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group)
  • Tendering in the Storm by Jane Kirkpatrick (WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group)

LITS (four nominees due to a tie)

  • Doesn't She Look Natural by Angela Elwell Hunt (Tyndale House Publishers)
  • Hallie's Heart by Shelly Beach (Kregel Publications)
  • Let Them Eat Cake by Sandra Byrd (WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group)
  • Trophy Wives Club by Kristin Billerbeck (Avon Inspire, a division of HarperCollins Publishers)

ROMANCE

  • Lightning and Lace by DiAnn Mills (Barbour Publishing)
  • Remember to Forget by Deborah Raney (Howard Books, a division of Simon and Schuster)
  • Remembered by Tamera Alexander (Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group)

SUSPENSE

  • The Cure by Athol Dickson (Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group)
  • My Hands Came Away Red by Lisa McKay (Moody Publishers)
  • The Pawn by Steven James (Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group)

VISIONARY

  • Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet (WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group)
  • The Restorer by Sharon Hinck (NavPress Publishing Group)
  • Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead (Thomas Nelson)

FIRST NOVEL

  • Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet (WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group)
  • Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee (NavPress Publishing Group)
  • The Stones Cry Out by Sibella Giorello (Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group)

YOUNG ADULT

  • Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson (NavPress Publishing Group)
  • In Between by Jenny B. Jones (NavPress Publishing Group)
  • Maggie Come Lately by Michelle Buckman (NavPress Publishing Group)
My thoughts:

Since the end of May I've read two books I planned to on this list - Auralia's Colors and Quaker Summer, and have four left. The wins didn't change my plans.

The win I'm most excited about is Hollywood Nobody. I love this series! I have the third book sitting in my bag to read (after I finish DragonLight) and just got my 14-year-old sister hooked on the series.

In the visionary category, I would have been happy with either Scarlet or The Restorer winning. Auralia's Colors took a while to capture my attention. Scarlet fully deserved the win, though. I want to reread it now!

In most of the other categories, I only read one or none of the books, so my opinion doesn't really count. In suspense, however, My Hands Came Away Red was definitely my choice, though I wonder if it was too young adult for some suspense fans. If you haven't read this book, order it now. It's unforgettable, gripping, and convicting.

1 comments:

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

Katie, I really like the way you did this, showing the finalists in each category. It almost makes me want to go back and redo my post. Almost! LOL

I felt the same way you did about the Visionary Category. I was not surprised that Athol Dickson won. I think I might become a fan of his. His writing is beautiful anyway.

Becky

Post a Comment