Friday, March 04, 2011

Where I've Been Writing: FamilyFiction

The writing I've done for online venues over the past months hasn't been solely for revenue-sharing sites. In late June 2010, Chris Well contacted me about the new magazine Salem Publishing was starting: FamilyFiction. He asked if I'd like to be one of their writers. I jumped at the opportunity!

Since the magazine's premiere in September/October 2010, I've been the contributing editor for speculative and young adult fiction. Both genres are a perfect fit for my reading tastes (I've even judged book contests in both categories), and my younger siblings enjoy the books I pass along to them after I read them.

My favorite part of the job is definitely the author interviews. Even though I'm normally phone-phobic, I've learned to relax and let authors share their heart for story and for their readers. It's been awesome talking to authors I've loved for years, and sometimes getting to share what their books have meant to me.

In addition to the author profiles I write for each issue of FamilyFiction, I've also been collecting and sharing news from authors in my genres, which can often be a challenge to gather. (If you're reading this and you write speculative or young adult fiction for a Christian audience - I'm talking to you! Share your news, and I'll be happy to spread the word! Tell your fellow authors!)

Click through to read the first three issues of FamilyFiction, either through the online viewer or in a downloadable PDF. I've written profiles on Stephen Lawhead, Melody Carlson, Jonathan Rogers, and others! The fourth issue, March/April, is coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment