Friday, July 16, 2004

The Guys

I was interrupted, so I didn't get a chance to comment on Narnian guys.
 
Peter is the oldest child, in charge, and someone you can depend on.  He seems a little distant, but I admire the way he sticks up for Lucy.
 
Edmund and Eustace both are "perfect beasts" until circumstances force them to grow.  I like the way Lewis lets them suffer the consequences of their actions before they meet Aslan - no rapid-fire conversions here.  Sin causes pain, and the price is high.
 
Digory is adventuresome, and the only character you get a close look at both as a child and an adult.  He is also the only child with deep sorrow in his life - a sorrow that mirrors Lewis' own.
 
Shasta has a rags-to-riches tale, but his character growth on the journey north removes the triteness of his story.
 
There's also Corin, Caspian, Rillian, and Tirian - perhaps I'll get to them later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment