Thursday, November 05, 2015

Isle of Hope by Julie Lessman

About the Book
She stole his heart.
He stole her peace.
Can hope steal their pain?
At the age of eighteen, Lacey Carmichael was a wild girl bent on fun, promised to Jack O'Bryen, a straight-and-narrow pastor’s kid bent on the seminary. When her father kicks her out of the house, she runs away from Isle of Hope, turning her back on everything she loves. Now, eight years later, she’s back as a woman of faith, hoping to make amends to the father she defied, the boyfriend she deserted, and the best friend she denied. Only the bridges she’s burned are still smoldering, kindled by an adulterous affair by Jack’s pastor father that damaged his son’s faith. But can a turning of tables—and hearts—lead the way back to “hope” for them all?

My Thoughts
Anyone who has ever visited this blog probably knows that I LOVE Julie and her books! From the moment I first picked up one of her books I was lost and she quickly became my all-time favorite author! Up until now Julie has stuck to amazing historical novels but with this release she made the jump into the contemporary genre and she did it brilliantly! She seamlessly transferred everything that I love about her historical novels into this book while also making it new and fresh!
I absolutely loved the O'Bryens and the Carmichaels! Julie knows how to write families in such a way that you can't help but fall in love with each and every member and she did it once again with these two. From sweet to surly and everything in between these characters won me over totally and I was completely engrossed in their stories. I loved the way Julie switched up Lacey and Jack. When they were younger Jack was on the track for becoming a pastor and Lacey was the more wild child but then through different events Jack turned his back on God and Lacey ran into His arms. It was an interesting twist and it was cool to watch God use Lacey to bring Jack back to Him. I also loved (yes I'm using that word a lot but I can't help it) their whole relationship! Going from crazy-in-love teens, to estranged adults, to trying to get along for their cousin and friend's wedding, and finally making their way back to the love they never really lost. There was also a secondary romance between Tess O'Bryen (Jack's mother) and Ben Carmichael (Lacey's father). Both relationships were full of ups and downs, sweet moments, entertaining banter, and swoon-worthy romance!
The spiritual aspect was heavy in this book but it was in no way too much! I loved the way that God and the messages of hope and forgiveness were woven into every page and it was done beautifully.
Every second of this book was amazing and there were twists at the end that I never saw coming. In short I absolutely loved this book and cannot wait to read the rest of the series!

Meet the Author
Julie Lessman is an award-winning author of The Daughters of Boston series, the Winds of Change series, and The Heart of San Francisco series. The recipient of seventeen Romance Writers of America awards, as well as many other accolades, Lessman was chosen as the #1 Romance Fiction Author of the Year in the "Family Fiction" magazine 2011 and 2012 Readers' Choice Awards. She resides in Missouri with her family. Learn more at www.julielessman.com.

I received an e-book ARC of this book free from the author in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment