Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Top Ten Most Unfortunate Character Names

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish


This week is a freebie week so I looked through the past Top Tens and thought most unfortunate character names sounded like a really fun topic! So without further ado here are some of the most horrible names I have come across while reading.

Opal Speck from The Bride Backfire by Kelly Eileen Hake-Opal? Speck?! That is just an awful cruel name that brings to mind a cranky old lady. The book is pretty awesome though!

Adelaide Proctor from Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer-I will admit this isn't as horrible as some of the names on this list but still I would hate to be called Adelaide. Or worse. Addy!

Odessa St. Clair from Breathe by Lisa T. Bergren-The last name is pretty cool, but Odessa? Really?! And to top it off her sister's name is Moira. Thankfully their brother escaped with the cool name of Dominic!

Lucious Landrum from Love on the Line by Deeanne Gist-This has to be the worst name I have ever come across! It is just awful! And to make matters worse the character actually liked his name! Thankfully he was undercover most of the book and went by Luke Palmer

Phineas Snowe from All the Tea in China by Jane Orcutt-This comes close to Lucious, but at least it's slightly more manly. And there really is no good nickname.

Lorena Huntley from Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato-This too is not completely awful, but pretty bad nonetheless.

Esme and Jinx Price from Heiress by Susan May Warren-The aren't as much bad as they are just kinda strange. As you read the books they do tend to grow on you slightly but...

Kerenhappuch Collins from Ten Plagues by Mary Nealy-Yeah it's bad. This character's parents names her after one of Job's daughters. Thankfully the entire book she goes by just Keren.

Candace Thompson from The Sweet Seasons Novels by Debbie Viguie-Ok no teenager should have to go through life with a name like Candace. I know the name was a big part in the story but still.

Beatrice Prior from Divergent by Veronica Roth-Beatrice is another name no teenager should have. At least she changes it to Tris!


5 comments:

Jac (Two Moms Reading) said...

I actually love the name Beatrice - but I think it goes back to my love for Ramona and Beezus as a kid! *lol*

Stop by and see my Top Ten / Teaser Tuesday!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Bahahaha!! What a fun list! I was sure you'd put something from Harry Potter. There are so many unique weird names in it.

I love the name Beatrice!

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Lucious isn't that bad! Esme, Candace, Odessa, Adelaide are okay.

Kerenhappuch must be the worst name I've ever read so far. And Opal Speck made me laugh, horrible!

http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/07/top-10-tuesday-14-freebie.html

Fortunately named Leorah... said...

Okay so this is probably a favorite blog idea of mine now...really makes you thankful, you know? =D Although, my name has several times given off the woolies...
I think that after Kerenhappuch - which by the way, is a name only a hateful mother can love...- the worst book name I have ever come across is Artemesia from this book I read when I was like ten called Piratrica. I think the main reason I hated it is the girl's nickname became "Art." I just never got used to it...

danicapage said...

Great list! This made me laugh, as horrible as that is.

Love this! I don't mind Beatrice, but the others are definitely poorly named.

Here's mine

~Danica Page
P.S. If you stop by be sure to check out my giveaway for any book under $15.

Post a Comment