Saturday, April 05, 2014

Captives by Jill Williamson

About the Book
In a dystopian future, eighteen-year-old Levi returns from Denver City with his latest scavenged treasures and finds his village of Glenrock decimated, loved ones killed, and many--including his fiancée, Jem--taken captive. Now alone, Levi is determined to rescue what remains of his people, even if it means entering the Safe Lands, a walled city that seems anything but safe.
Omar knows he betrayed his brother by sending him away, but helping the enforcers was necessary. Living off the land and clinging to an outdated religion holds his village back. The Safe Lands has protected people since the plague decimated the world generations ago ... and its rulers have promised power and wealth beyond Omar's dreams.

Meanwhile, their brother Mason has been granted a position inside the Safe Lands, and may be able to use his captivity to save not only the people of his village, but also possibly find a cure for the virus that threatens everyone within the Safe Lands' walls. Will Mason uncover the truth hidden behind the Safe Lands' façade before it's too late?

My Thoughts
 I have long heard my sisters and blogging friends sing the praises of Jill Williamson's books so I was quite excited to read my first book by her. Thankfully it lived up to my expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I am always amazed at the things Dystopian authors come up with and Jill Williamson was no different. Every last unique detail was well thought out and worked together to create a world that was scarily believable. I really liked how the author never made the mistake of to much detail but rather let it all unfold slowly till you had the whole picture.
The characters of this story were fantastic! Mason was my favorite of the three brothers, he was all-around awesome and reminded me of Simon Tam from the TV show Firefly. Levi was pretty great too and I loved how he refused to give up and how his love for Jemma showed through all he did. Omar, the youngest of the brothers kept making me want to smack him then shake some sense into him! Then there were Shay, Jemma, and Naomi, who were all sweet characters that you couldn't help but love!
So yeah this book was pretty great and I can't wait to start Outcasts!

Meet the Author
Jill Williamson is a chocolate loving, daydreaming, creator of kingdoms and the award-winning author of several young adult books including the Blood of Kings trilogy, Replication, the Mission League series, and the Safe Lands trilogy. She lives in Oregon with her husband and two children and a whole lot of deer. Visit her online at www.jillwilliamson.com, where adventure comes to life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment