Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday Memes 4/18

Book Blogger Hop

The Question:
Are your reviews more of a rehash of the story or do you comment on writing style, characters, and reflection?

My Answer:
I never rehash the story in my reviews! If someone wants to know what the book is about they can read the description-which I include with each review. When I look at reviews I want to know what the person thought not a reiteration of the summary and I assume that's what others want too. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, it's a pet peeve of mine and I usually won't read reviews if the start with rehashing!


Hosted by: Rose City Reader

"Please join me every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name."

If the letter-the one that could change everything-didn't arrive today, she'd stop hoping.
Here to Stay by Melissa Tagg

My Thoughts
Once I got done squealing in excitement over finally getting to read this book, I thought it was a great beginning! Makes you keep reading wondering what the letter could hold that will be so life-altering!

8 comments:

Juli Rahel said...

I have the same pet peeve, to be honest. If your review is largely just explaining to me 'what happened next' I can't really be bothered because it just spoils the book and tells me nothing about the experience of reading it! And you really want to know what happens after the BB! Why is the letter so important?
Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
My Friday Post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Elizabeth said...

I agree with your answer.

I write about the characters and the author's style.

Happy Easter and Happy Hopping!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog Hop Answer

Unknown said...

Love that beginning! I just requested Here to Stay from Bethany House! Can't wait to read it! :)

gautami tripathy said...

This looks like a good read! Happy Reading!!

Here is my Book Beginning post!

AND

Here is my Friday 56

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I like that beginning -- it sets the tone of anticipation.

In my reviews, I do try to give a very short idea of what the story is about, but without giving away actual bits of the plot. And then give my reaction to the book.

Abbi Hart said...

Juli-Glad I'm not the only one!

Elizabeth- :)

Caitlyn-It's AMAZING!

gautami-It is! I highly recommend it!

Gilion-It does!

Lory @ Emerald City Book Review said...

I'm trying to keep plot summary to a minimum. Sometimes it is important to the review, though. I had not considered including a separate description, but since I try to keep my posts short, I think that might not work for my style. I know the reader can always find that information somewhere, anyway.

Abbi Hart said...

Lory-Everyone has a different way of doing things! Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment