Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Top Ten Gateway Books/Authors in My Reading Journey

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

"All of us readers have those books that really started us on our way to becoming book lovers. It could be something we read as young children, or it could be a book we picked up in adulthood after years of a reading drought. Or, it could be an author or book that introduced us to a new favorite genre. This week's Top Ten Tuesday puts a spotlight on those books and authors that we credit with our bookishness."

#1. All the Tea in China by Jane Orcutt-This was my first novel written in first person, for the longest time I refused to read first person POV books but this one changed my mind and now I love them!

#2. Janette Oke-Her books were my first "adult" novels!

#3. Journeys of the Stranger series by Al Lacy-As far as I can recall these were the first books I read with suspense in them, of course now it's not really suspenseful but when I read them it was!

#4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins-This book opened my eyes to the wonderful world of dystopian! I had heard of it and didn't think it sounded like something I'd like but boy was I wrong!

#5. The O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson-While technically these were the first "adult" books I read I really feel like they were the first real adult books and the starting point being able to read any book I wanted.

#6. Out of Control by Mary Connealy-This was my first review book! I kept telling my sister I wouldn't be good at reviewing but then she gave me an offer I couldn't resist, write a short review for this book (by one of my absolute favorite authors to boot) and I could keep it. So I did it, discovered that it wasn't too hard and that I loved doing it and the rest is history!

#7. The Californians by Lori Wick-This was a series my older sisters loved but kept telling me I was too young to read so when they finally said I was old enough it was a big deal to me and I felt, I don't know, grown up, I guess!

#8. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner-These were some of my first chapter books and I used to be obsessed! They started a phase where I was mystery crazy and while it toned down a bit I still love a good mystery now!

#9. Listen for the Whippoorwill by Dave and Neta Jackson-This is a bit of a weird one but when I was younger and couldn't read yet my sister and I would always take chapter books and run our fingers across the lines pretending we were reading and this was the book I usually chose, the The Bandit of Ashley Downs was a close second!

#10. Flee the Night by Susan May Warren-This was my first Susan May Warren book and I fell in love! She became my absolute favorite author for awhile (now others have joined her) and I now own all of her books! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hunger Games is a great series to introduce a reader to dystopian! Fantastic list :-)

Abbi Hart said...

chrissireads-I agree, it is a great starting series! Thanks!

Heidi Reads... said...

I joined the Top Ten meme for the first time today! I love your list and it really got me thinking about what I would put on my own.

http://heidi-reads.blogspot.com/2014/04/top-ten-tuesday-gateway-booksauthors-in.html

Carissa said...

The Boxcar Children where my first chapter books as well. They are the books that got me into reading mysteries.

Abbi Hart said...

Heidi-Glad you joined!

Carissa-That's cool! The first book was by far the best!

Post a Comment